Questions to Ask Yourself Before Moving for Love
by Lincoln Sedlacek
- If you moved and things didn’t work out, would you or your partner resent the other?
- Have you and your partner discussed a long-term future together?
- Are you sure?
- Sometimes you think you and your partner are discussing a long-term future together, but what you’re really discussing is what it would take to convince you to move wherever they go to chase their dreams. Not exactly a question, but important to think about nonetheless.
- Is the new city one you can picture yourself being happy in?
- At the very least, is the new city one you can picture yourself not living in Cleveland in?
- Who are you trying to convince by looking something like this up on the internet, anyway? You realize pretty much the only possible answer is “yourself,” right?
- Okay, so you say you wouldn’t resent your partner if you moved and things didn’t work out. Let’s litmus-test that: do you already find yourself resenting your partner for minor things, like never liking your Facebook posts or frequently eating the last brownie?
- Can you afford the move?
- If not, can you afford hearing the implied “I told you so” in your mother’s voice when you call her to ask for money?
- Do you love your relationship with this person more than you love your local craft beer?